Below you will find answers to some of Dover Township’s most Frequently Asked Questions:


← FAQs

Periodically, you will see Water Dept personnel releasing water from hydrants. Hydrant flushing is necessary to test the hydrants to make sure adequate flow and pressure is available. Flushing is also done to remove sediment from the pipes in order to maintain water clarity and quality in the distribution pipes.

Your water is safe to drink. Occasionally, water becomes discolored after hydrant flushing. If this happens, run your cold water tap for a few minutes until the water clears. If it doesn’t clear the first time, wait a few minutes and run the water again. You should avoid washing clothes until the water clears.

Rusty Water

As described in the previous section, fire hydrants are periodically opened to flush water mains in the system. Additionally, Fire and Public Works Department personnel routinely use hydrants to make assessments as to whether adequate pressure and flow are available to satisfy normal system demands as well as the increased demand required in the event of a fire. These actions, as well as some construction activities, may result in brief periods during which you may observe moderate discoloration in your tap water.

Cloudy / Milky Water

In the late fall and winter months the water that enters your homes can be quite cold. When this cold water enters your home plumbing, it is exposed to significantly warmer temperatures. This causes dissolved oxygen, that can reach significantly higher levels in colder water than in warmer water, to escape in the form of “micro-bubbles” that can give water a cloudy appearance. If a glass of this water is allowed to sit for a short period of time the cloudy effect will dissipate.

White Particles in the Water

It has been determined that a number of hot water heaters manufactured between 1993 and 1997 may have defective cold water supply dip-tubes. These tubes are designed to direct the cold water entering the heaters to the bottom, thereby forcing the previously heated water to the hot water outlet near the top of the tank. The defective dip tubes have been found to separate from the cold water inlet and, over time, disintegrate into minute pieces resembling crumbled eggshells.

This material can readily clog sink aerators and showerheads but is said to be non-toxic.

For more information please contact Dover Township Water Dept (717) 292-3634

Many projects related to home or property improvement do require permits.  Sheds 100 to 999 square feet require a zoning permit.  Zoning permits are also required for fencing, patios, decks under 30”, and some driveway repairs.

Larger accessory structures such as garages, pole buildings, additions, decks over 30” and pools require building permits.

The permit applications are the same and both require site plans, although building permits require two sets of specs to be submitted along with the application.

Fees for zoning permits are $50.00 plus any stormwater fee. Fees for building permits start at $50.00 (for a project with an estimated cost of less than $8,500.00); or $7.00 per each $1,000.00 of estimated cost of the project plus plan review fees and inspection costs, determined by our Third-Party Inspection Agency plus any stormwater fee.


Many cosmetic home improvements do not require permits.

These projects may include:

  • replacement doors or windows with the same size doors or windows and no structural alterations.
  • replacing shingled roofing, including felt paper underlayment, flashing, gutters and downspouts with no structural alterations.
  • replacing siding with no structural alterations.
  • finishing basements that do not include bedrooms.  Mechanicals need to be sized appropriately for additional conditioned space.


In addition, any new project creating impervious area will require a Stormwater Permit Application, possible stormwater management for the project and a stormwater fee associated with the project.



To assist you in planning your project, we have created the Dover Township Interactive Zoning Map where you are able to locate your property, determine necessary setbacks, and even take measurements through the interactive GIS tools found on the site. Please don’t hesitate to call the Zoning & Building Department at (717) 292-3634 if you have questions or for clarifications.

Our equipment in not designed to vacuum long or heavy objects they cause the vacuum tube to clog and heavy items such as logs can damage the impeller.

If the snowfall is not a substantial snowfall (greater than 4″) and leaves are visible enough to find, we will continue leaf collection.

Curbside collection of leaves and brush follow the same rules as trash collection. Leaf and brush collection are considered a moving work zone. Signage would not keep up to the pace of the collection and may confuse motorists.

Allow your grass clippings to dry and then place them in your trash receptacle.

The criteria for a flagging road is based on traffic volume, the speed of the traffic and roads that have curves and hills that interfere with a motorist’s sight distance.

  • The Brush Drop Off Facility is located at 2480 W. Canal Rd., behind the Dover Township Municipal Building. It is open the 2nd and 4th Saturdays from 7am-4pm.
  • Curbside Leaf Collection is available in the fall. Please check our website or newsletter for the dates.

The brush drop-off facility currently accepts the following items:

  • Branches
  • Leaves (cannot be in bags – unless bags are biodegradable)
  • Shrubbery

We cannot accept roots, rooted ground balls, bamboo, or grass clippings.  This policy is strictly enforced.  Proof of residency may be required.

No, Dover Township does not add fluoride to the water.

This depends on your account number. If your account number beings with:

  • 0 – your bill months are January, April, July and October
  • 1 – your bill months are January, April, July and October
  • 2 – your bill months are February, May, August and November
  • 3 – your bill months are March, June, September and December
  • 6 – your bill months are February, May, August and November

Your bills are sent our quarterly. The bills are taken to the post office before the 1st of the month in which you are scheduled to receive your bills.  The bills are ALWAYS due by the 15th of those months.  If you do not receive your bills by the 5th of those months, please contact our office and we can let you know what your balance is.

You can also access your water/sewer account by clicking on the “View Utility Account” tab on our website.   To access your account, you will need your new account number, the account holder’s name and the billing zip code.  You can choose to register for account access.  If you sign in with a username and password, you can see your account’s billing history, consumption history, the amount that is due and the due date.

You can also choose to have your bills emailed to you instead of receiving them from the United States Postal Service.  If you would like to have your bills emailed to you, please contact our office and we will gladly get you set up for this.

Late fees are 10% of the current outstanding charges for payments received after the due date.

Failure to receive a bill does not void responsibility for its payment or waive the past due penalty. 


Water and sewer bills are lienable items, and must remain in the property owner’s name, as they are ultimately financially responsible for the account.  We can, however, send a copy of the bill to you as the tenant.  Please contact our office if you are a tenant and would like to receive a copy of the bill.

We accept check, cash and money order. Credit card payments can be made online via the website here (a nominal service fee will be applied to your bill).

Payments can be made:

  1. Online By Credit Card (a 3% service fee will be charged.) To access your account online, you will need your new account number, the account holder’s name and the billing zip code.
  2. Pay by Phone – 1-833-286-1238 (a 3% service fee will be charged.) To pay by phone, you will need your Customer ID and Phone PIN, which are located on your most recent bill.
  3. Through your bank’s website. Go to your bank’s website and click on their “Bill Pay” tab.  Add an account for Dover Township, using your new account number and our address.  They will send us a check on your behalf.  You just need to tell them when to send the payment and how much the payment is.
  4. By mailing your check or money order to Dover Township, 2480 W Canal Rd, Dover, PA 17315
  5. Checks, money orders and cash can be placed in our dropbox, which is located in the vestibule of our building. This area is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
  6. In our office, we accept checks, money orders or cash. Credit card payments are not accepted in our office.

Payments made after the due date will be charged a 10% penalty on the current outstanding charges.

Please provide Dover Township with your contact information, including your name, phone number and email address. If you are a property owner, but have tenants living in your home, please also provide us with your tenant’s contact information. If there is an emergency, we will make a public service announcement through our automated phone system to the phone number that we have on file.  If we do not have the correct information, we will not be able to contact you.

Sewage, also called wastewater, is the contaminated water from homes, schools, and businesses.  It comes from toilets, showers, clothes washers, dishwashers, etc.  The contaminants include fecal matter, urine, soaps, detergents, food particles, hair, rags, paper, toys, dead goldfish, and anything else that is disposed in a drain.  A person creates an average of 60 to 100 gallons of wastewater every day.  Sewers are a network of pipes that bring the sewage to the treatment plant for treatment.  Treatment is the continual process of removing the contaminants from the wastewater and then processing the removed contaminants into a product that can be safely recycled.

A wastewater treatment plant cleans the water so it can be safely returned to the environment.  It removes various solids, which includes everything from rags and sticks to sand and smaller particles found in wastewater. It reduces organic material and pollutants by the controlled action of helpful bacteria and other microorganisms that consume organic matter in wastewater. The bacteria and microorganisms are then separated from the water and then disinfected. The process also restores oxygen to the water to ensure the water has enough oxygen to support life in our creeks, rivers, and lakes.

Wastewater treatment usually consists of physical, chemical and biological actions in some various combinations to efficiently and cost-effectively clean the water and treat the removed material.  The size and type of the treatment units are very specific to the quantity and characteristics of the wastewater.

This facility is located at 851 Graffius Road, York, PA 17404.  The Dover Township plant is physically located in Conewago Township and has a York mailing address.  Please click here for directions.

This treatment plant has a design capacity to treat an average of 8 million gallons per day and consists of a sewage grinder, pumps, grit removal systems, Biological Nutrient Removal Carrousel systems, final clarifiers, and ultraviolet light disinfection.  The removed contaminants, called sludge, are thickened, aerobically stabilized, and dewatered prior to disposal.  More information can be found on the WWTP pages.

Sludge is a generic term for the solids removed from any plant.  These solids are treated at this facility by aerobic digestion. This is a natural biological process that utilizes existing bacteria to stabilize the solids.  The stabilized sludge, called biosolids, must meet many strict State and Federal requirements before it can be applied to farmland.  The liquid biosolids are pumped to the  centrifuges where it is dewatered to approximately 20% solids concentration.  The dewatered biosolids have a look of damp rich soil and has an earthy/slightly musty odor.

The wastewater treatment system is owned by the Dover Township Sewer Authority and is leased to Dover Township to operate and maintain the system. Plant operation is done by highly trained and certified operators who are employees of Dover Township.  After a thorough training and exam process, operators are licensed by Pennsylvania DEP.

The plant has a diesel-powered emergency generator.

No, the plant is only staffed one shift per day.  The plant is continually monitored by computers with a complex alarm system.  The rotating on-call plant operators must responded to alarms and get to the plant within 30 minutes.

All treatment plants are permitted and regulated by various state and federal agencies, mostly the PA Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) and EPA. These agencies, through the permitting systems, define how and what must be done.  The plant must report to these agencies with very specific reporting procedures.  For example, DEP get a monthly report from the plant called the discharge monitoring report.  This detailed report contains the analyses and flows.  This report must be signed and attested to under penalty of law (fines and imprisonment) that this report is “true, accurate, and complete”.

Dispose of household products safely. Don’t pour solvents, pesticides, paint thinners, engine oil, or household cleaning products with hazardous chemicals down the drain or into a storm sewer. Take them to a recycling center or hazardous waste collection site. Cooking oils and grease should be collected in a container, covered, and disposed of as solid waste. Fats, oils, and grease collect in the sewer system and are a major cause of blockages and sewage back-ups.

Use fertilizers and pesticides carefully—and only as directed. Try to find safe alternatives to products that can harm water supplies. Be informed.  Learn about your local wastewater treatment system as well as water supplies and any possible threats your water supply and environment faces. Know what your community is doing to protect your environment and water supply. Help other citizens be aware of the importance of clean water in your community.

Tours of the plant can be arranged by calling the plant at (717) 292-4911, ext. 1.  Please call at least 2 weeks ahead to make sure that safe and proper arrangements can be made to facilitate your group.  For safety sake, tours are only given during daylight hours and in dry weather.  We welcome tours from school groups, scouts, and other organizations.  The plant usually has an open house in September with tours and demonstrations.  Check the WWTP part of the website for more information.

No.  We can only test our wastewater for the parameters approved by PADEP.

No, we cannot accept wastes from RVs, campers or motorhomes.

Dover Township owns and operates the Township’s water system.

The Dover Township Sewer Authority owns our sewer system, the Joint (inter-municipal) Interceptor and the Regional Wastewater Treatment Plant.

Dover Township operates our sewer system, the Joint Interceptor and the wastewater treatment plant.

A Watercourse is a stream, river, brook, creek, channel, ditch or swale where water flows on a continuous, seasonal, or intermittent basis. A watercourse can be natural or manmade.

As the property owner, you are responsible to maintain the Watercourse. This means keeping it free of trash, debris, excessive vegetation, and obstacles that could block the flow of water. You also have the responsibility to prevent pollution and contamination of the water flowing through the Watercourse.

A Stormwater Management (SWM) Permit Application must be completed for any improvements that will result in 100 square feet or more of new impervious (water cannot get through) surface.  Examples would include sheds, home additions, patios and driveways. A copy of our Stormwater Management Permit Application can be obtained by clicking the following link:

SWM Permit Application

The SWM application is typically completed at the time a building permit application is completed. Following the completion of a SWM application, Township Staff will utilize the following criteria in reviewing the application and information provided as part of the building permit application.


  • Will the project result in 1000 square feet or more of new impervious surface?
    • Yes, the applicant will be required to provide a SWM Site Plan which will require the services of a qualified professional. The completed SWM Site Plan will then need to be reviewed and approved by the Township Engineer before Township Staff can issue a SWM Permit.
    • No, Township Staff will review the SWM Application and will work with the Property Owner and/or Contractor to determine the Best Management Practice (BMP) to be used for managing rainwater runoff from the new impervious surface.


  • Does the project site qualify as a Disconnected Impervious Area (DIA)?
    • Yes, there are adequate on-site conditions to ensure that runoff from the new impervious surface will infiltrate into the soil and not leave the property. A slope of less than 5%, no more than 500 SF of roof drainage discharged to any one point, and a flow path greater than 75 feet would constitute adequate on-site conditions. If the site is approved for a DIA, the completion of an SWM Permit will not be required.
    • No, some form of Structural BMP will be required such as infiltration beds, infiltration trenches, and/or Rain Gardens. The completion of a SWM Permit will be required.


A copy of our SWM Small Project Guide can be obtained by clicking on the following link:

SWM Small Project Guide

Our SWM Small Project Guide describes the on-site conditions necessary to qualify for a Disconnected Impervious Area (DIA) along with specifications and diagrams of the structural BMPs (beds, trenches, and Rain Gardens) that Township Staff can approve and permit.

The Property Owner and his/her Contractor are responsible to see that the structural BMP is constructed according to Township specifications and requirements. Dover Township will require a construction phase inspection to verify that these are being met.

The Small Project Stormwater Management Permit will also list the Property Owner’s responsibilities to Maintain and Inspect Structural BMPs.

The sulfur smell of rotten eggs is caused by possible bacteria or debris laying in your pipes and or drains.  If you notice that the odor is coming from the drain and not the actual water, it could be because bacteria is laying in the elbows/curves with in your drain pipe.  Try pouring some chlorine bleach in the drain to remove the bacteria.  If you notice that an odor is coming from the water pipes themselves, it might be coming from your hot water heater.  This can happen in the cold as well as the hot water.  It could be that your hot water heater needs flushed out.  When your hot water is used, cold water flows into the hot water heater to replenish it.  When the water heater is full, it shuts off and any water left in the line can back wash out into the water lines.  As your hot water heater was filling it stirred up any debris that was laying in the bottom of your water heater.  This debris can also backwash into the lines.  Again, if you haven’t drained your hot water heater in some time, 6 months or more, you may want to try this.  Another thing to check is the aerator on your spigot.  Remove the aerator/filter at the end of the faucet, clean well, and reattach. Water heaters are another source of H2S(Rotten Egg Smell) when the magnesium rod in the water heater reacts with sulfate in the water and converts it to hydrogen sulfide gas or when the temperature is lowered in the water heater to save energy, allowing sulfate-reducing bacteria to live in the heater.

The minimum width is 33 feet; however you should contact the Township regarding your specific road as right of way widths do vary within the Township.

Property owners are responsible for maintenance to all trees and shrubs within the Right of Way, including those that interfere with the clear sight triangle at intersections.  If we receive a complaint about such an issue, we will inform the property owner that it is their responsibility to trim it so that it no longer is an issue for the traveling public.

A snow emergency does three things for the community:

  1. A Snow Emergency grants our crew the ability to work longer hours to remove the snow.
  2. It provides the traveling public with a warning that hazardous conditions exist.
  3. Snow Emergency Routes that are designated with signs through Township Ordinances must have ALL VEHICLES removed from those streets. This aids in snow removal service.  Click here to see a list of streets designated as SNOW EMERGENCY.

When development occurs, the developer maintains ownership of all the roads within the subdivision until 90% of the homes have been completed.  At that point, the developer requests a final walk through and a punch-list is created.  After the punch-list is complete, the wearing or top coat is applied to road surface and the road is offered to the Township as a public street.  The Township is not responsible to maintain roads in any way that have not be dedicated.

Regulatory signs require a traffic study.  Some traffic studies can be performed by our Public Works Director, while others require assistance from another agency.  Please contact our Public Works Director regarding specifics.

Non-regulatory signs like children at play, deaf child area, etc. do not usually require a study.  However, residents may be required to pay for the cost of installing such signs.  Please contact the Public Works Director with your issue to find out the details.

Northern York County Regional Police Department handles traffic enforcement within Dover Township.  Please visit their website here.

Driveway permits are necessary if located within a public right of way. A driveway may not exceed 24 ft measured at the street right-of-way line nor less than 10 ft. Driveways must also be paved at least 25 ft from the street right-of-way line of all public streets. All other requirements can be found in §21-403: Driveways.


Water conservation is an increasingly critical concern for people across the globe.
According to the United Nations, more than one out of six people (1.1 billion) in the world lack access to safe drinking water, and more than two out of six (2.6 billion) lack adequate sanitation.
As global population continues to rise, the resulting increase in demand for clean water will put enormous strain on the environment and some experts predict that the global wars of the next generation will be fought not over fossil fuels, but water.


Scarce water resources are fragile and very susceptible to industrial contaminants from factories and agricultural runoff.

Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) are a very volatile and toxic class of odorless, tasteless chemicals that were used in the first half of the 20th century in many industrial applications. In the 1970s research proved that PCBs were highly carcinogenic and were making their way into the American water system in high concentrations. Since the 1970s their manufacture, use and transportation have been highly curtailed, though PCBs are just one of many potentially lethal water contaminants.

Water-borne vector diseases like malaria still plague many parts of the Third World and the use of pesticides to curb these diseases has equally harmful effects on water sources

Preservation and Conservation:

Preservation is the act of protecting existing water quality from future contamination and pollution. Conservation is the physical act of changing individual behavior to use less.
Depletion and impairment of water resources from irresponsible overusage results in shortages when demand outpaces supply. Droughts and shortages are especially prevalent in the American West and have reached critical levels in sub-Saharan Africa.

What Can We Do?

The average American household can conserve water and save money by implementing some very simple tips and advice. Repair leaky faucets and other outlets. Install low-pressure shower heads and low-flow toilets. Run dishwashers and clothes washers only when they are full. Compost organic waste instead of running it through a garbage disposer. Water your lawn every other day in the summertime, and never between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. Reduce the use of pesticides and fertilizer.  Store drinking water in the refrigerator rather than running the faucet until it runs cold.  Turn off the water when brushing your teeth.  Use a timer to keep showers shorter.

Turn off the water at the exterior. Make sure that the water supply is turned off completely at the main supply point. If the furnace should fail on a very cold day, water in a pipe could freeze and burst the pipe. To turn water off to the exterior please call the Dover Township Water Dept @ 717-292-3634Note: The water meter should be disconnected and Drained to prevent meter from damage.

  1. Open all faucets and drain all waterlines. If you live in an area where freezing pipes can be a problem, drain the toilets, the water heater (turn off the gas or electric supply first) and the expansion tank.
    • get a air compressor to blow the lines of excess water. Eliminate or dilute the water in drain traps by pouring an “RV” type antifreeze solution into them, as directed by the instructions.
    • Close the sink and tub drains.
    • If a house is to be vacant for a long time, you may prevent water in a toilet’s trap from evaporating (and thereby permitting sewer gases to enter the home) by raising the toilet’s lid and seat and covering the bowl with saran wrap.
    • Turn off and drain fountains and other sources of standing water.
    • Drain water from dishwashers and pour RV antifreeze. with refrigerators (with a water dispenser or an ice maker) and washing machines, following the manufacturer’s directions. Remove the water filter from inside the refrigerator.

It has been determined that a number of hot water heaters manufactured between 1993 and 1997 may have defective cold water supply dip-tubes. These tubes are designed to direct the cold water entering the heaters to the bottom, thereby forcing the previously heated water to the hot water outlet near the top of the tank. The defective dip tubes have been found to separate from the cold water inlet and, over time, disintegrate into minute pieces resembling crumbled eggshells.

This material can readily clog sink aerators and showerheads but is said to be non-toxic.

Many industrial and domestic water users are concerned about the hardness of their water. Hard water requires more soap and synthetic detergents for home laundry and washing, and contributes to scaling in boilers and industrial equipment. Hardness is caused by compounds of calcium and magnesium, and by a variety of other metals. Water is an excellent solvent and readily dissolves minerals it comes in contact with. As water moves through soil and rock, it dissolves very small amounts of minerals and holds them in solution. Calcium and magnesium dissolved in water are the two most common minerals that make water “hard.”

Dover Townships primary source of water supply is wells.

The hardness of water is referred to by three types of measurements: grains per gallon, milligrams per liter (mg/L), or parts per million (ppm). Typically, the water produced by Dover Township Water is considered “moderately hard”. The table below is provided as a reference.



Grains Per Gallon Milligrams Per Liter (mg/L)or Parts Per Million (ppm) Classification
less than 1.0 less than 17.1 Soft
1.0 – 3.5 17.1 – 60 Slightly Hard
3.5 – 7.0 60 – 120   Dover Twp. Moderately Hard
7.0 – 10.5 120 – 180 Hard
over 10.5 over 180 Very Hard


Hard drinking water is generally not harmful to one’s health, but can pose serious problems in industrial settings, where water hardness is monitored to avoid costly breakdowns in boilers, cooling towers, and other equipment that handles water. In domestic settings, hard water is often indicated by a lack of suds formation when soap is agitated in water, and by the formation of limescale in kettles and water heaters. Wherever water hardness is a concern, water softening is commonly used to reduce hard water’s adverse effects.

Serratia marcescens – Bacteria
Occasionally customers call to ask about a slimy pink substance that sometimes forms in moist
areas around their homes. They most frequently observe it in toilet bowls, on surfaces in shower
stalls and bathtub enclosures, inside dishwashers, on tiles, in sinks, and in pet water dishes.
A red or pink pigmented bacterium known as Serratia marcescens is thought to be the cause of
the pink “stuff’. Serratia bacteria are common inhabitants of our environment and can be found in
many places, including human and animal feces, dust, soil, and in surface waters. The bacteria
will grow in any moist location where phosphorous containing materials or fatty substances
accumulate. Sources of these substances include soap residues in bathing areas, feces in toilets,
and soap and food residues in pet water dishes. Many times, the pinkish film appears during and
after new construction or remodeling activities. Others have indicated the pink “stuff’ occurs
during a time of year that their windows are open for the majority of the day.
These airborne bacteria can come from any number of naturally occurring sources and the
condition can be further aggravated if customers remove the chlorine from their water by way of
an activated carbon filter. Serratia can also grow in tap water in locations such as toilets in guest
bathrooms where the water is left standing long enough for the chlorine residual disinfectant to
dissipate. Serratia will not survive in chlorinated drinking water.
Serratia marcescens is not known to cause any waterborne diseases. Members of the Serratia
genus were once known as harmless organisms that produced a characteristic red pigment. More
recently, Serratia marcescens has been found to be pathogenic to some people, having been
identified as a cause of urinary tract infections, wound infections, and pneumonia in hospital

Once established, the organism usually cannot be eliminated entirely. However, periodic and
thorough cleaning of the surfaces where the pink slime occurs, followed by disinfection with
chlorine bleach appear to be the best way to control it.

To clean pet water dishes, bathroom and kitchen surfaces:

  1. Scrub the surfaces where phosphorous and fatty substances or the bacteria accumulate with a
    brush and a household cleanser.
  2. Then disinfect the surfaces where the slime has formed with a strong chlorine bleach solution.
    Leave the disinfectant solution on the affected surface(s) for 10-20 minutes before thoroughly rinsing away with clean water.
  3. Use care with abrasives to avoid scratching the fixtures, which will make them even more
    susceptible to the bacteria.

To control pink “stuff” in toilets:

  1. Clean the bowl thoroughly and spray chlorine bleach into the bowl and under the bowl rim.
  2. Also add 1/4  cup of bleach to the toilet tank.
  3. Let the bleach stand for 15-20 minutes.
  4. After 15-20 minutes, flush the toilet a couple of times to rinse the disinfectant out of the tank
    and the bowl.
  5. The bleach should not be left in the toilet tank for prolonged periods; it will damage the rubber valves and seals inside.
  6. Whenever a pink film starts to reappear, repeat the cleaning and disinfection process.

Water Usage Facts:

  1. An average person uses 69 gallons of water per day
  2. A household of 4 persons uses an average of 276 gallons per day
  3. Biggest contributor of water use-
  4. Toilet Flushing accounts for more than ¼ of home water usage
  5. Clothes washer accounts for about 1/5 of home water usage



  1. Faucets – A typical family of four uses 36 gallons per day from faucets throughout the house.  Faucets typically use 1.2 gallons of water per minute.
  2. Dishwasher – A typical dishwasher uses between 8 and 15 gallons per load (with an average of 9.3 gallons).

To cut usage by 15%

  1. Repair leaks
  2. Low-flow devices can save about 4 gallons per day for a family of 4, which amounts to an 11% saving of water use.
  3. Use faucet only when necessary. For example, don’t let it run if you are brushing your teeth or washing dishes by hand; wash vegetables in a bowl instead of under running water.
  1. Don’t rinse dishes before putting them in the dishwasher.  That can save as much as 20 gallons of water, or 55% of daily faucet water use for a typical family of 4.
  2. A high-efficiency dishwasher uses between 5-7 gallons. On average, that would save 35% per load on water use.
  3. Use the “water saver” mode, if your dishwasher has one. That can use as little as 5 gallons per load- as much as 46% less than average.

Laundry Room

  1. Clothes washer- a traditional clothes washer uses about 41 gallons of water per load.  Nationally, a family of 4 averages using 59.2 gallons per day to wash clothes with a traditional machine.

To cut usage by 15%

  1. High efficiency machines typically use 23 gallons per load, 44% less water than a traditional washer.
  2. Use the “water saver” mode, if your clothes washer has one. That can use as little as 30 gallons for a large load, or 27% less than an average load in a traditional washer.


  1. Toilet-The 1994 Federal Energy Act requires new toilets to use 1.6 gallons per flush.  However, many toilets installed before 1994 use 3.6 gallons per flush.  A family of 4 uses about 75 gallons of water per day flushing the toilet.
  2. Shower-An average shower lasts 8.2 minutes.  If your shower head uses 2.2 gallons per minute, that’s 18 gallons per shower, and 72 gallons per day for a family of 4; if your showerhead uses 2.5 gallons per minute, that’s 20 ½ gallons per shower and 82 gallons per day for a family of 4.

To cut usage by 15%

  1. High efficiency toilets use 1.6 gallons per flush, so a family of 4 would use about 34 gallons per day or 55% less than most toilets.
  2. Fix leaks. Plumbing leaks in general account for 14% of home water use, and toilet leaks can use up to 200 gallons of water per day-almost ¾ of daily water use for the average family of 4.  To figure out if your toilet leaks, put food coloring in the tank water and wait at least 15 minutes.  If the coloring appears in the bowl, there’s a leak.
  3. A family of 4 that takes 5 minute showers would cut water use to 44 gallons (using 2.2 gallons per minute); or 50 gallons (using 2.5 gallons per minute).  That’s a 39% reduction in water use.


  1. Hose-A typical hose uses 5-8 gallons of water per minute.  That means watering plants or the lawn for 15 minutes would use between 75 and 120 gallons of water.


To cut usage by 15%

  1. Watering for 10 minutes would use 50-80 gallons, a saving of up to 33% in water use.
  2. Soaker hoses can cut water use by 20 to 50%.


A sudden increase in your water charges could indicate a water leak. Water leaks are often silent and unnoticeable until you get a high water bill.

To check for a leak:

Turn off all faucets in and around the house.  Make sure the dishwasher and washing machine are not on.  Switch off the ice-maker.

Find your water meter box which is usually located in your front yard near the property line.  Look for a leak indicator on your meter (usually a small triangle dial visible through the meter sight glass).  If the indicator is spinning, water is running through the meter and you have a leak.

If you do not have a leak indicator, write down the numbers on the register including the position of the dial if there is one.

Leave all the water off in the house and check the meter again in one hour. If the dial has moved or the numbers have changed, you have a leak.

If you verified a leak, you need to find out where it is.

The most common culprit is a toilet. A hanging flapper valve or a flap that is not seated correctly can cause water to constantly seep from the tank to the bowl. The flapper valves and internal components do wear out, requiring servicing.

Take the toilet tank lid off and see if you can either hear or see a leak. If not, place a few drops of food coloring in the tank (the back of the toilet). Let it sit for 15-20 minutes without flushing. Then check the bowl for traces of the food coloring. If the water in the bowl is colored, you have found a leak.

Other common leaks are faucets that drip or slowly run. Make sure and check outside spigots and around the bottom of your hot water heater also. Even small leaks can add up quickly.

If you have determined that you do have a leak and can’t find it, then it could be underground. Most plumbing service companies have detection equipment and are experienced in finding underground leaks.

Cincinnati-based Roto-Rooter, which operates a location in Springettsbury Township, recommends the following tips to protect plumbing systems during freezing temperatures:

  • Disconnect outside water hoses. If left connected during freezing temperatures, water in hoses will freeze and expand, causing connecting faucets and pipes to freeze and break.
  • Inspect outside faucets.  If they’re dripping or leaking, make the necessary repairs or call a plumber
  • Note that when pipes freeze, water pressure builds and causes cracks, whether the pipe is made of plastic, copper or steel.  Even a tiny crack can unleash 250 gallons of water in a single day
  • If your home is equipped with interior shut-off valves leading to outside faucets, close them and drain water from the pipes.  Cover outside faucets using an inexpensive faucet insulation kit
  • Insulate pipes in unheated areas.  Apply heat tape or thermostat-controlled heat cables around exposed pipes.
  • Your water heater works harder during winter months.  Drain corrosion-causing sediment from the tank, which reduces energy efficiency.
  • Set water heater thermostat to 125 degrees F for optimum performance without risk of scalding.
  • Clear any leaves and debris from roof gutters and downspouts to ensure proper drainage through the winter season.
  • Inspect and clean sump pit. Remove any rocks and debris from pit then dump a bucket of water into the sump pit to test the pump.  If it turns on and pumps water out then turns itself off, it is operating properly.
  • Make sure your furnace is set no lower than 55 degrees F during the winter to prevent pipes from freezing.

Recycling bins can be picked up at the Dover Township Municipal Office @ 2480 West Canal Rd Monday through Friday 8am to 4:30pm. There is no charge for the recycling bins.

Old medicine can be disposed of  at the Northern York Regional Office at 1445 East Canal Rd.

Hazardous waste and material can be dropped off at the York County Solid Waste Authority at 2700 Blackbridge Road in York.

Any place that sells or exchanges the propane tanks will take them.

Penn Waste is the current trash hauler for Dover Township and their phone number is (717) 767-4456.

Website:  www.pennwaste.com

  • Regular trash service (weekly 96-gallon mobile cart services)
  • Low volume trash service (weekly 35-gallon mobile cart service
  • No trash service- recycling only (no trash will be collected under this service)
  • One large item per week

Contact Penn Waste for at (717) 767-4456 or www.pennwaste.com for details and pricing.

Penn Waste has two dedicated days for Christmas tree pick up in January. However, if you missed the pickup dates you can put it out as a large item for the pickup with your garbage.

Allow your grass clippings to dry and then place them in your trash receptacle.

If you see someone taking your recycling from the bin, call 911 to report it.  This is illegal.  The recycling collected in the Township is reported by the ton each year to the Department of Environmental Protection. The Township receives grant monies to help pay for brush and leaf collection costs through this funding.

Dover Township no longer accepts electronics and you cannot dispose of them in your regular trash or recycling pickup. If you would like to dispose of electronics, please contact the York County Solid Waste Authority using the information below:

2700 Black Bridge Rd
York, PA 17402
Phone: (717) 845-1066
Hours: Monday – Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm
Website: http://www.ycswa.org/



The recycling toters provided by Penn Waste are 64 gallons.

For a current list of recyclable items, please check Penn Waste’s website (www.pennwaste.com)

Penn Waste has been awarded the Solid Waste & Recycling Collection contract for the term of 7/1/2020- 6/30/2025.

No.  Penn Waste does their own billing, but they do have on-line bill pay at www.pennwaste.com.

Allow the paint residues to dry in the can or place kitty litter in it to absorb the leftover paint. When the can is dry, you can throw the cans out in your regular garbage.

Used motor oil can be recycled right here in Dover Township at the following places:



The township taxes do not pay for the cost of utilities (water and sewer).  The utilities are paid totally by users’ fees.  Treatment costs for septic and holding tank wastes must be paid for by the contracting haulers.  It’s not fair for township residents that pay a sewer fee to subsidize residents that are not hooked into the sewer.

Leaves need to be placed at the curb so they are accessible to the equipment used for leaf collection.

Our equipment is not designed to vacuum long or heavy objects. They can cause the vacuum to clog.  Heavy items, such as logs, can damage the equipment.  Brush collection is now offered through Penn Waste.

If you own a property in Dover Township and have tenants living in your property, it is your responsibility to contact Dover Township to make sure that we have the correct information in our system.  We need your mailing address, your phone number and the contact information for your tenants.  The water and sewer bills must remain in your name, as they are lienable items.  Ultimately, you are financially responsible for the utility account.

Having the contact information for your tenants is crucial to Dover Township, so that we can contact our residents in the case of an emergency.  We thank you for working with us to make sure that all our residents stay safe and informed.

If you are renting a property in Dover Township, please contact us to make sure that we have your correct information in our system.  This information is vital if we need to contact you in the case of an emergency, a boil water advisory, or situations regarding the utility account.  We thank you for your cooperation.

Containers shall not be placed on the curbside or next to the cartway earlier than 5:00pm the evening of your scheduled pick-up day. Empty containers shall be removed from the curbside or the cartway by 8:00am the day following a scheduled day.

A resident who owns a business within the Township and has a contract with a licensed hauler for the collection of commercial municipal waste, may apply for a waiver from residential municipal waste collection. A copy of a current contract between the resident and the licensed commercial hauler must be on file with the Township before a waiver is granted. Any resident electing this exemption shall still be subject to mandatory recycling.

The owner or occupant of a dwelling unit may elect to dispose of his or her own residential municipal waste directly to a disposal facility approved or operated by the York County Solid Waste Authority. If the owner or occupant of a dwelling unit elects this option, then the owner or occupant shall sign a waiver on a form supplied by the Township. Any resident electing this exemption shall still be subject to mandatory recycling.

Penn Waste will pick up one large item on your scheduled pick-up day. A bag of trash does not count as one large item.

Items that can be picked up are as follows:

    • Furniture
    • Mattress
    • Box spring
    • One car tire without the rim
    • Lawn mower (oil and gas removed)
    • Plumbing fixture such as toilet or sink

All items must be under 50 pounds and an item that two people can lift.

Yard waste items must be placed in biodegradable brown paper bags or bundled with biodegradable twine. Bundles may be no longer than five feet in length and cannot weigh more than thirty pounds each. Please prepare your yard waste property. Yard waste in plastic bags WILL NOT be collected.


Penn Waste will collect the following:

    • Tree trimmings
    • Shrubbery
    • Leaves

If possible, allow ashes to cool in the area where you had the fire for several days. These areas are designated to contain their heat safely.

When it is time to dispose of the ashes, test to ensure the hot ashes are cooled by placing them in a cardboard box or paper bag before disposal. If the ashes are too hot, they will begin to burn through the box or bag.

DO NOT dispose of hot ashes with yard waste material. By placing ashes with yard waste, such as tree trimmings and leaves, the potential for fires increases substantially.

Penn Waste will collect yard waste the fourth Saturday of every month. Yard waste must be placed at the curb before 6:00am.

Penn Waste will not collect the following items for yard waste collection:

  • Grass clippings
  • Fruits and vegetables
  • Tree stumps
  • Dirt and stone

Any appliance with Freon requires a Special Pick-Up. Contact Penn Waste at (717) 767-4456 to schedule an item you have that contains freon.


Some examples of appliances with Freon are:

    • refrigerators
    • freezers
    • dehumidifiers
    • air conditioners
    • water coolers

It depends what zone you are in.  Chickens are not permitted in any Residential Zone. To check which zone you are in, please use the interactive Zoning Map.

You have 24 hours from the time the snow stops to clear your sidewalk.  Snow or ice shall be completely cleared from the sidewalk to a width of not less than 36 inches.


No person removing snow or ice from a public sidewalk or removing snow or ice from any portion of the property shall deposit such snow or ice in or upon any public street between the curb lines of such street.

Dover Township does not require a permit to hold a yard sale.

To open a business, please call the Zoning Office for specifics (717) 292-3634.  Many businesses need to go through Zoning approvals. Others just need a simple “USE” certificate.

Signs are not permitted along any Township or State owned Right of Way areas or on utility poles.  You may advertise on your property or on a friends/neighbors property with permission.

It depends what type of sign is involved such as free standing, banners or shared signs for a complex.  Call the Zoning Department or go online and check the Zoning Ordinance Chapter 27 Part 8.

According to the Dover Township Property Maintenance Code adopted in 2007, all premises and exterior property shall be maintained free from weeds or plant growth in excess of twelve (12) inches. Please contact the Codes Enforcement Department with addresses and concerns.  We will explain the procedure and start the process to bring a property into compliance.

On October 1, 2005, the Dover Township Supervisors enacted Ordinance No. 2005-05, The Sewage Management Program Ordinance.  This ordinance requires the inspection and pumping of all septic tanks in Dover Township, once every four (4) years.

If the un-registered vehicle is not parked on the street but on a driveway or somewhere on the property, please contact the Zoning Office (717) 292-3634.


If the un-registered vehicle is parked on the public street, please contact Northern York County Regional Police Department at (717) 292-3647 (this is a non-emergency number).

Dover Township Code of Ordinances #2005-08 as amended Chapter 10, Section 602 2B states,

“Owning, possessing, harboring or controlling any animal which barks, bays, cries, squawks or makes any other noise continuously and/or intermittently for ½ hour or more, which annoys or disturbs a reasonable person of normal sensitivities is not permitted.”

You should call 911 and ask for the Northern York County Regional Police Department to report this situation.

The Zoning Department recommends you trying to talk to your neighbor with the dog and express that you do not want the dog coming onto your property.  If the neighbor continues to allow the dog to enter your property, call 911 and ask for the Northern York County Regional Police Department.  All dogs must be under control of their owners at all times under the PA State Dog Laws.

When houses are approved they are approved with the condition of having two (2) off street parking spaces.  If you can park your camper/RV/Boat in the driveway and not have to park one of your vehicles along the street, then yes, you can park it on your driveway.  Please refer to Dover Township Zoning Ordinance #27-710 2B.

Between 8:00am and 4:30pm, please call Dover Township at (717) 292-3634.

After hours please call 911.

Between 8:00am and 4:30pm call the township building at (717) 292-3634.

After hours, please call 911.

Here a several things you can do to reduce your risk of sewer overflow:

  • Do NOT pour grease, fats, and oils down your drain
  • Do NOT use the sewer system as a means to dispose of food scraps.
  • Do NOT use the toilet as a wastebasket.

For more information, please read the article: Beware of “The Unflushables”

Between 8:00am and 4:30pm please call the township building at (717) 292-3634.

After hours please call 911.

It starts at the property line or the first cleanout closest to the street.

Dover Township requires that Schedule 40 PVC be used for sewer laterals.

I&I stands for Inflow and Infiltration?

Inflow Examples (down spouts, sump pumps, foundation drains, uncapped cleanouts or vent pipes, or anything else that allows ground water to enter directly into a sanitary sewer system)

Infiltration Examples ( cracked or broken lateral pipes, cracked or broken main line pipes, faulty pipe connections, leaking manholes)

Dover Township is inspecting basements and downspouts to make sure there are no ground or rain water connections to our sanitary sewer system. This helps reduce I&I. It is also part of our Consent Order Agreement with PADEP.

A Consent Order Agreement is a legal agreement with PADEP to eliminate sanitary sewer overflows. It states you must stop I&I or anything else that may cause a sanitary sewer overflow.

  • Please make sure all downspouts and sump pumps discharge to your yard.
  • If you are missing a sewer vent cap or cleanout cap please call the Township for further assistance (717) 292-3634.
  • Please do Not put grease or non-flushable items down your drains
  • Please avoid planting trees and bushes close to your sewer laterals in the yard.
  • Please do NOT flush baby wipes or the wipes labeled flushable wipes, as these do not break up like toilet paper and can cause a sanitary sewer clog.

For more information, please read the article: Beware of “The Unflushables”


Only township employees should be accessing manholes.

The elected Tax Collector has a duty to collect current year taxes for three separate organizations.  They are the Dover Area School District, York County and Dover Township.  The Tax Collector collects the real estate taxes for all three of these entities.

As of 2016, the per capita has been repealed.

Delinquent Real Estate taxes are turned over to the York County Tax Claim Bureau at year end.

The Tax Collector can be reached at (717) 292-4046

The Tax Collector’s hours are:

Office Hours (as of 09-15-20):
Tuesdays, Wednesdays & Thursdays 9am to 4pm

A drop box has been provided for your convenience in the front of the office for after hours.

The Dover Township and York County real estate tax bills are mailed by February 15th each year.  They are usually mailed in the same envelope.  The bill includes a municipal tax line item (Dover Township) and a county tax line item (York County).

Dover Area School District Taxes are mailed by July 15th of each year.

Where do I go to pay my real estate taxes?

The elected Tax Collector has an office at the Dover Township Community Building located 3700 Davidsburg Road, Dover, PA 17315.

York Adams Tax Bureau is the appointed tax collector of all payroll related taxes for Dover Township and Dover Area School District.  This includes the Earned Income Tax (EIT) and Local Service Tax (LST).

The EIT Tax is charged at 1.4 % of your earnings.  Dover Area School District received .9% and Dover Township receives .5% of this figure.

The LST Tax is a flat $52.00 tax.

YATB is also the collector of all Business Privilege and Mercantile taxes for Dover Township.

Please visit the York Adams Tax Bureau at their website: http://www.yatb.com/

The process begins by speaking to the Zoning Officer to determine if you need anything special in relationship to what type of business it is and its location.  Once that has occurred, a USE Certificate is issued.  This information is shared with the York/Adams Tax Bureau (YATB).  The YATB will issue a license under the Township’s Mercantile/Business Privilege Tax requirements.  The YATB is the collector of this tax.  More information can be obtained at www.yatb.com.

← FAQs