Utility Billing

Water and Sewer Are Billed Quarterly

There are 3 separate billing areas in the township (so just because a friend received a bill does not necessarily mean that you will receive yours at the same time) If you are unsure of what your billing cycle is, please contact our office for your billing schedule.

Current Pricing
Quarterly Charge for the Initial 6,000 Gallons of water
(based on standard 3/4″ service line)
After the Initial 6,000 Gallons of water  $5.90 per 1,000 gallons of water
Grinder (Garbage Disposal) Sewer $5.50
Quarterly charge of Public Sewer $128.52

If you have a commercial property your sewer will be based on water usage with the first 15,000 gallons of water used billed at the flat rate of $128.52 and each additional 1,000 gallons of water will be billed on your sewer at $8.18.

Utility Billing Settlement Form


Utility Billing FAQs

When is my bill scheduled to be mailed?

This depends on your account number. If your account number beings with:

  • 0 – your bill months are January, April, July and October
  • 1 – your bill months are January, April, July and October
  • 2 – your bill months are February, May, August and November
  • 3 – your bill months are March, June, September and December
  • 6 – your bill months are February, May, August and November

You should always have your bill by the 5th of these months. If you do not receive your bill by that date, please contact the office for your bill amount due, so you can avoid late fees.

Typically your bill will be due on the 15th  of the same month.   After the due date a penalty will be assessed.

Make sure that if you move or are going to be away from home when your bill is scheduled to arrive, that you provide an updated address to us, so that you can receive you bill in a timely manner and avoid being charged a late fee.


Why can’t I set up an account in my name if I am renting?

Dover Township bills property owners only.  If your landlord has it in the lease that you are responsible for the water and sewer bills, it will be up to them to contact our office and authorize redirection of the bill.  We cannot change the bill based on the tenant notification.


What payment options do we offer?

You may pay by mail (no cash please), in the office (open Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm), or use our drop slot (conveniently located in the vestibule area, which is accessible 7 days a week/24 hrs. a day).  You can also use your bank’s website to make a payment to Dover Township, by visiting your bank’s website and clicking on the “Bill Pay” tab. You may also pay by credit card on our website ONLY by clicking here.  There will be a convenience fee if paying by credit card as we use a third party processor to process the credit card payments for security purposes.

How do I receive notifications if there is a water, sewer or any other Township related emergency?

Please provide the Township office with contact information such as telephone number and mailing address.  We recently made public announcements through our auto dialer system and were told by several residents that their neighbors got the call but they did not.

The reason:  We did not have your contact information.  PLEASE make sure you get the next notification should there be one, by providing us with your telephone number and e-mail address.



Methods of Payment

We accept check, cash and money order. Credit card payments can be made online via the website here (a nominal service fee will be applied to your bill).

Payments can be made:

  1. Online By Credit Card (a nominal service fee will be applied to your bill)
  2. By mailing to the address below
  3. In person at our office (no credit cards)
  4. In our drop box (located in the vestibule area before entering the lobby area). This area is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
  5. Through your bank’s website.  Go to your bank’s website and click on their “Bill Pay” tab.  Add an account for Dover Township, using your account number and our address.  They will send us a check on your behalf.  You just need to tell them when to send the payment and how much the payment is.

Payments made after the due date will be charged a 10% penalty on the remaining balance of the current charges.


Think You Have a Leak?

The best method for determining whether a leak exists is to take actual water meter readings.  This method checks the entire internal plumbing system for water leaks.  Take a water meter reading just before going to bed or when no one will use any water for several hours.  Take another meter reading in the morning before any water is used or after a few hours of non-use.  In theory, the two readings should be the same.  If they are not and you cannot account for the use by a humidifier, ice cube maker, toilet flush or water softener, you have a leak, and further investigation is recommended.

From our experience, 90% of the leaks in residential plumbing systems are found at the toilet tank.  Malfunctioning water softeners and humidifiers run a distant 2nd and 3rd.  We encourage you to check for a leak.  Toilets leak at the bottom of the tank around the flapper plug or at the top of the tank at the overflow tube.  To test the flapper plug, carefully remove the lid from the toilet tank and mark the water level in each toilet tank with a pencil.  Shut off the water supply to the toilet.  If the water remains on the mark you make for 10 minutes, the flapper plug is not leaking.  If the water level drops below the mark you made, the flapper plug is leaking and should be repaired or replaced.  The water level in the toilet tank should be at least 1” below the top of the overflow tube.

Another test, you can do is to add a few drops of food coloring into the tank water (darker colors work best).  Do not flush the toilet.  After a lengthy period (a couple hours if possible), check the bowl water.  If any of the colored water from the tank has gone into the bowl water without it being flushed, you have a leak in the toilet.  Toilet tank leaks typically result from worn parts or misalignment of some part of the flushing mechanism.  Most repairs can be done by an experienced “do-it-yourselfer”.  If you are not sure you can handle the job, call a plumber.  It is important to stop the leak.


Ways to Conserve Water


  1. Turn off water while brushing your teeth.
  2. Have someone who you think is taking too long of a shower? Put a kitchen timer in the bathroom and set it….When the timer goes off, it’s time to get out of the shower.
  3. Put a 1/4 or 1/2 gallon container filled with water in the tank area of your commode (avoiding the float and trap area) This way every time you flush and the tank refills, it will have to fill that much less.
  4. Only do dishes or laundry when you have a full load.
  5. During a summer drought, save dish or bath water to water the garden and plants. The detergent will not harm them.



On occasion it is necessary for us to flush fire hydrants in order to clean out water lines. If you experience discolored water for a short period of time, this is likely the cause. If the discoloration should continue for a prolonged period, please contact our office.



More Public Works Information