Do I need a permit?

Many projects related to home or property improvement do require permits.  Sheds 100 to 999 square feet require a zoning permit.  Zoning permits are also required for fencing, patios, decks under 30”, and some driveway repairs.

Larger accessory structures such as garages, pole buildings, additions, decks over 30” and pools require building permits.

The permit applications are the same and both require site plans, although building permits require two sets of specs to be submitted along with the application.

Fees for zoning permits are $50.00 plus any stormwater fee. Fees for building permits start at $50.00 (for a project with an estimated cost of less than $8,500.00); or $7.00 per each $1,000.00 of estimated cost of the project plus plan review fees and inspection costs, determined by our Third-Party Inspection Agency plus any stormwater fee.


Many cosmetic home improvements do not require permits.

These projects may include:

  • replacement doors or windows with the same size doors or windows and no structural alterations.
  • replacing shingled roofing, including felt paper underlayment, flashing, gutters and downspouts with no structural alterations.
  • replacing siding with no structural alterations.
  • finishing basements that do not include bedrooms.  Mechanicals need to be sized appropriately for additional conditioned space.


In addition, any new project creating impervious area will require a Stormwater Permit Application, possible stormwater management for the project and a stormwater fee associated with the project.



To assist you in planning your project, we have created the Dover Township Interactive Zoning Map where you are able to locate your property, determine necessary setbacks, and even take measurements through the interactive GIS tools found on the site. Please don’t hesitate to call the Zoning & Building Department at (717) 292-3634 if you have questions or for clarifications.

Please log in to rate this.
0 people found this helpful.

Category: Zoning and Building
Tags: , ,

← FAQs

Comments are closed.